Monday, July 12, 2010

Partnered with a Hearing Dog

Since 1987, I have been partnered with a hearing dog. Before getting my dog, I was attending college and was concerned I couldn't hear the alarm in the dorms. The Resident Advisor assured me that they check every room during an alarm drill. I was thinking, they are not going to cross a fire to get to my room! They insist that they would. I always thought I heard too well for a hearing dog, but then, I couldn't hear important sounds like a fire alarm in the dorms. Then I realized, I really do need some kind of assistance. One term while talking to a sign language interpreter, she encouraged me to look into a program for a hearing dog. I did. I found that my hearing loss was acceptable enough to get a hearing dog. The program was unique in that it was set up like an obedience class where the instructor taught us how to train our own dogs. The class was 14 weeks.

This was the beginning of a great passion for hearing dogs. I became obsessed. Watson, a black and white Border Collie was my first. I never really had to tell him anything, he nearly read my mind! He alerted me for sounds for 8 years. Then cancer had spread through his body where life was no longer fun. I had to be put to sleep at 9 years old. Finding the successor dog was difficult. I evaluated about 25 dogs and trialed 10. This included trying a puppy where at 4 months of age, she had severe popping hip dysplasia. I didn't have the money for the expensive surgery and returned her to the breeder. The big programs won't tell you they have more than a 50% drop out or career change rate. So, finding the right dog is a bit challenging. People are either lucky or do not see that anything is wrong with their dog.

I did find Reid, who also became a part guide dog since I was legally blind in 1996. Unfortunately the stress got to him and he had to be removed from his duties. I decided to try a rare breed, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. She was a beautiful and adorable little dog, however, she had her own ideas. She certainly was not a natural alerting dog, but could be conditioned to do tasks when the setting was right for her. She later became the family pet. Got along really well with my nieces. She also was my first dog to try Musical Canine Freestyle.

Following Rubi was Jewel, a Belgian Malinois. She did ok, but at age five, she was killed in a freak accident. Then Mickey, my fifth dog, came into my life.  He unfortunately developed a reactive bark towards knocking and people opening doors. His conditioning would work for a short while, then he would go back to hard wired instincts and genetics. I was distraught and frustrated having recently been through a number of dogs. Working full-time I couldn't raise another pup and take the chance the dog might not work. So I applied for a program dog. Then the wait.

I have recently tried going into public without a dog. Which I am really glad I did, because I didn't realize how much I depend on my dog to cue me into the world around me. Not only do I depend on their notification for sounds, but for walking as well. I also had a rude awaking how poorly I see inside buildings with poorly lit rooms and hallways by florescent lighting. Orientation is a bit more challenging. If there happens to be a window, the glare coming in is so harsh that it gives me a white out. In some hallways that are dark, I cannot see the person's face, feeling really nervous that they might try to say something and I will miss what they say. They will in turn think I'm rude or ignoring them if I don't respond appropriately.

Some people see me function "normal" that they wonder why do I need a hearing dog? I have hearing aids, why would I need a dog to help me hear? If I can see, why would I need assistance with orientation and seeing in some areas or at night? This is one of the most difficult situations to be in, being in-between. I'm not totally blind and not totally deaf. So if I'm not a total, why can I not benefit from assistance? Should I be deprived of an accommodation because I still have residual hearing and vision? How could anyone think that someone in-between would not need an accommodation?

Hearing aids are a great tool. But there are a lot of disadvantages as well. I do not wear mine 24 hours a day. Taking them off is like kicking off those high heels or taking off that annoying tie. There are just some frequencies that my hearing loss cannot be amplified loud enough for functioning or these high frequencies cannot be heard over the loud low frequencies I hear better.

A hearing dog expands my circle of awareness. This is done by a variety of tasks from the dog. I notice head turns, an ear flicker, and a look. These non-trained movements tell me all the sounds I might not hear. Something people with average hearing take for granted. A formal trained alert is a nose nudge and then the dog lead you to the sound. When I'm walking by myself on a walkway, my dog will look behind me. This is comforting that I am aware that someone is behind me without checking very 2 minutes to see what is around me. I can relax and walk forward like a normal person.

Being blind on my right side, I do not see or hear approaching cars to my right. My dog can look quickly to the right with a snap look. I quickly look to the right and see the on coming car. I have also had it where someone is standing on my right hand side and was not aware they were there, my dog will look where I will automatically look to see. Now I know there is someone standing there. It is an awkward feeling if someone has been standing there for a minute or so, and you were not aware they were there. Very awkward.

With a hearing dog, the plexi tube's thickness is now thinner, more sound can filtrate through, the cloudiness to see out is lessened as well. My world is a little more approachable and little less isolating. My life is richer. Without a dog, it is dull, where the senses have been deadened and numb, but the dog makes it fuller and I feel more alive. I'm more connected.

I now have an office job. Challenges all around. Very little in understanding deaf-blind, so I struggle. They have no idea how isolated I am, but with my hearing dog, I have a focus. A warm friend to get me through the day. My dog gives me independence to move about freely, to hear various alarms or someone calling behind me. My dog does so many things for me, but people see it as a perk, or how nice to have a dog at work. My dogs are much more than that, they are my accommodation, my freedom and my friend.

I have a new dog now, Divine. We have some ways to go before she is in full working mode. It takes time for a team to blend and work together. She gets the foundation training, now we are at work together, learning about each other. It is a partnership, a bond, a relationship. She is an extension of my body, like a wheelchair, cane, hearing aid, device all in a fur coat and walks with four legs. She is Divine, a yellow Labrador retriever taking her job very serious in helping me hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment